There are countless remote-control applications to manage various parts of your desktop computer from your smartphone. Unified Remote brings many of these features together into a single tool, allowing you to make your Android device work like a virtual keyboard and mouse, file explorer, task manager, and slideshow controller, among many other features.
The service works via the interaction between an app you have to install on your device and the program that acts as a server on your PC. What’s most welcome about this app is ow ridiculously simple the connection process is: when you start the mobile app prior to installing the desktop program, both services will link automatically if they’re connected to the same WiFi network (although the connection can also be done via Bluetooth, by selecting the connecting ports or assigning a password).
The first thing that Unified Remote will show you is an enormous list with the different things you can do from your phone, with some of them locked and available only in the paid version. Nevertheless, the most useful tools are found in the free client. They include:
- A virtual mouse using the screen surface as a touch-control cursor. There is also a section to control the scroll.
- A file explorer that allows you to browse through the file tree on your local drives, where you can also launch any associated program or file from your phone to run on your PC.
- A virtual keyboard that includes practically all the special function keys. There is also a section with a numbers-only keyboard.
- A generic remote control for multimedia that is equivalent to the keyboard buttons to control the volume, start, pause, fast-forward, and rewind.
- Energy manager where you can stop, restart, or hibernate your computer.
- Gallery control buttons to browse with your desktop image viewer when opening photos.
- Control systems specific to particular well-known multimedia players: Spotify, Windows Media Center, Windows Media Player, VLC, and YouTube.
- Browser via the start menu to launch installed programs.
- Task manager where you can view the programs and processes that are running.