Recently, Facebook has added a new feature on the timeline for both the iOS and Android version as well as the web client, so that when a video post appears in your feed, it starts playing automatically. This can be quite annoying for many people, and also leads to unnecessary data consumption on your smartphone. Here we explain how to deactivate it.
On the web version of Facebook
- Drop-down the settings menu on Facebook (top bar to the left of everything). Click on the “Settings” option.
- On the menu to the left, click on the last option, “Videos”.
- Change the drop-down option from “Enabled” to “Disabled”.
On the iOS and Android app
At the moment it’s not possible to completely deactivate the feature, but at least you can limit automatic video playback to times when you’re connected to WiFi so it doesn’t eat up your data plan.
- Pull out the left menu by clicking on the upper left icon.
- Click the option “Application settings”.
- Tick the option “Play videos automatically only with WiFi”